Dear Tolland Soccer Club families,

We hope this message finds you well.

The 2019-20 soccer year will certainly be one to remember.  With the EEE threat in the fall and now the COVID-19 pandemic, the impact on the game from the professional ranks to the youth level has been unprecedented.  In addition to the numerous state and local restrictions currently in place, the Connecticut Junior Soccer Association (CJSA) has suspended all soccer until May 1, 2020.

While the prospect for spring soccer remains uncertain, we are hopeful that we will be able to resume soccer activity this spring in a modified form.  Below are more specific details by program should restrictions be lifted in a timely manner.

Travel Soccer

Earlier this week, we learned that the Spring 2020 Cup and Central/North Central leagues have been cancelled for the spring, primarily because holding these during a shortened spring window would be unfeasible.  However, should the current restrictions be lifted by the CJSA and governmental authorities, we would resume training activities and schedule a series of friendly matches.  Because our teams are already formed, we believe we can resume very quickly if given a safe opportunity.

Regarding the Cape Cod Tournament, we are subject to the guidelines of the Massachusetts Youth Soccer Association (MYSA) which has currently suspended activities until May 4, 2020.  We will make a decision as club no later than May 1st on whether we will be attending the tournament.  Should we need to cancel, we’ve worked with our partners at Red Jacket Resorts and they have graciously agreed to waive the $25 cancellation fee for all families staying at the resort.

Once we determine what, if any, soccer activities occur this spring, TSC will issue partial refunds and/or credits to all travel families.

Recreation Soccer

Due to the logistical challenges associated with a shortened spring season, we will not be able to hold spring soccer in our traditional manner.  Therefore, we will modify our spring activities to a series of training and/or clinics for both our U5-U8 and U9-U15 age group players.  In addition, we are looking at the feasibility of holding in-house soccer for our new U-19 Co-Ed rec team.  We have made the decision as a Board that spring rec soccer will be offered at NO COST to any interested player FOR ALL AGE GROUPS.  In addition, we will be processing refunds this coming week for any rec players that have already registered for the spring season.   

Again, thank you for patience and understanding.  We know these are difficult circumstances, especially for our 8th grade players who are moving on from the program.  As a club we are working hard to balance our desire to return to the pitch with maintaining the safety and well-being of our players, coaches, referees and supporters.  If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us directly at [email protected].

As we get closer to the May 1st date, we will provide additional communication to all TSC families outlining the specifics of how we will proceed.   

Erin Reed and Dave Garritt
On behalf of the TSC Board of Directors

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.